System design can no longer rely on ad hoc tweaking techniques. A rigorous design discipline is crucial to boost productivity and enforce design correctness.I am currently investigating design flows, algorithms, and tools to enable compositional and hierarchical design of large-scale cyber-physical systems (CPSs). I show how a contract-based approach provides a formal foundation for a system design methodology encompassing both horizontal and vertical integration steps.
Complex systems-on-chip (SoCs) also share several challenges with CPSs due to their increasing heterogeneity. The development of analog and mixed-signal (AMS) circuits heavily relies on manual efforts and remains one of the main bottlenecks of current design flows. In this context, I am interested in nonlinear and stochastic system analysis methods and in platform-based and contract-based methodologies to raise the level of abstraction of analog design and enable scalable and modular system-level design of complex SoCs.
Cyber-Physical System Design: Methodologies and Tools
Selected Journal Papers and Book Chapters
- P. Nuzzo, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, D. Bresolin, L. Geretti, T. Villa, “A Platform-Based Design Methodology with Contracts and Related Tools for the Design of Cyber-Physical Systems,” in Proc. IEEE, vol. 103, no. 11, pp. 2104-2132, Nov. 2015.
- M. Maasoumy, P. Nuzzo, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “Smart Buildings in the Smart Grid: Contract-Based Design of an Integrated Energy Management System,” in “Cyber Physical Systems Approach to Smart Electric Power Grid”, Power Systems 2015, pp. 103-132, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Jan. 2015.
- P. Nuzzo, H. Xu, N. Ozay, J. B. Finn, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, R. M. Murray, A. Donzé, S. A. Seshia, “A Contract-Based Methodology for Aircraft Electric Power System Design,” IEEE Access, vol. 2, pp. 1-25, Jan. 2014.
- P. Nuzzo, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, X. Sun, A. Puggelli, “Methodology for the Design of Analog Integrated Interfaces Using Contracts,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol.12, no.12, pp. 3329-3345, Dec. 2012.
- P. Nuzzo, X. Sun, C.-C. Wu, F. De Bernardinis, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “A Platform-Based Methodology for System-Level Mixed-Signal Design,” Eurasip Journal of Embedded Systems, vol. 2010, Article ID 261583, 2010.
- S. Saponara, P. Nuzzo, P. D’Abramo, L. Fanucci, “Design Methodologies and Innovative Architectures for Mixed-Signal Embedded Systems,” Eurasip Journal of Embedded Systems, vol. 2010, Article ID 641261, 2010.
- S. Saponara, P. Nuzzo, C. Nani, G. Van der Plas, L. Fanucci, “Architectural Exploration and Design of Time-Interleaved SAR Arrays for Low-Power and High Speed A/D Converters,” IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E92.C, No. 6, pp. 843-851, 2009.
- P. Nuzzo, F. De Bernardinis, P. Terreni, G. Van der Plas, “Noise Analysis of Regenerative Comparators for Reconfigurable ADC Architectures,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I: Regular papers, Jul. 2008, pp. 1441-1454.
Selected Conference Papers
- Y. Shoukry, P. Nuzzo, N. Bezzo, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, S. A. Seshia, P. Tabuada, “Secure State Reconstruction in Differentially Flat Systems Under Sensor Attacks Using Satisfiability Modulo Theory Solving,” in Proc. IEEE Conference Decision and Control (CDC), Dec. 2015.
- B. Jin, P. Nuzzo, M. Maasoumy, Y. Zhou, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “A Contract-Based Framework for Integrated Demand-Response Management in Smart Grids,” in Proc. ACM Int. Conf. Embedded Systems for Energy-Efficient Built Environments (BuildSys), Nov. 2015.
- J. Finn, P. Nuzzo, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “A Mixed Discrete-Continuous Optimization Scheme for Cyber-Physical System Architecture Exploration,” in Proc. Int. Conf. Computer Aided Design (ICCAD), Nov. 2015.
- Y. Shoukry, P. Nuzzo, A. Puggelli, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, S. A. Seshia, M. Srivastava, P. Tabuada, “Imhotep-SMT: A Satisfiability Modulo Theory Solver For Secure State Estimation,” in Proc. Int. Workshop on Satisfiability Modulo Theories (SMT), Jul. 2015.
- P. Nuzzo, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, R. M. Murray, “Methodology and Tools for Next Generation Cyber-Physical Systems: The iCyPhy Approach,” in Proc. INCOSE Int. Symp. (IS), Jul. 2015.
- Y. Shoukry, A. Puggelli, P. Nuzzo, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, S. A. Seshia, P. Tabuada, “Sound and Complete State Estimation for Linear Dynamical Systems Under Sensor Attacks Using Satisfiability Modulo Theory Solving,” in Proc. American Control Conference (ACC), pp. 3818–3823, Jul. 2015.
- N. Bajaj, P. Nuzzo, M. Masin, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “Optimized Selection of Reliable and Cost-Effective Cyber-Physical System Architectures,” in Proc. Design Automation and Testing in Europe Conference (DATE), Mar. 2015.
- P. Nuzzo, A. Iannopollo, S. Tripakis, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “Are Interface Theories Equivalent to Contract Theories?,” Proc. Int. Conf. on Formal Methods and Models for Co-Design (MEMOCODE), Oct. 2014.
- L. Guo, Q. Zhu, P. Nuzzo, R. Passerone, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, E. Lee, “Metronomy: A Function-Architecture Co-simulation Framework for Timing Verification of Cyber-Physical Systems,” Proc. Int. Conf. on Hardware/Software Codesign and System Synthesis (CODES+ISSS), Oct. 2014.
- P. Nuzzo, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “Let’s Get Physical: Computer Science Meets Systems,” From Programs to Systems – The Systems Perspective in Computing Workshop, European Joint Conferences on Theory and Practice of Software (ETAPS), Apr. 2014.
- P. Nuzzo, J. B. Finn, A. Iannopollo, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “Contract-Based Design of Control Protocols for Safety-Critical Cyber-Physical Systems,” Proc. Design Automation and Testing in Europe Conference (DATE), Mar. 2014.
- A. Iannopollo, P. Nuzzo, S. Tripakis, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “Library-Based Scalable Refinement Checking for Contract-Based Design,” Proc. Design Automation and Testing in Europe Conference (DATE), Mar. 2014.
- A. V. Karthik, S. Ray, P. Nuzzo, A. Mishchenko, R. Brayton, J. Roychowdhury, “ABCD-NL: Approximating Continuous Non-Linear Dynamical Systems Using Purely Boolean Models for Analog/Mixed-Signal Verification,” in Proc. Asia South Pacific-Design Automation Conference (ASP-DAC), Jan. 2014.
- M. Maasoumy, P. Nuzzo, F. Iandola, M. Kamgarpour, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, C. Tomlin, “Optimal Load Management System for Aircraft Electric Power Distribution,” in Proc. IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), Dec. 2013.
- P. Nuzzo, J. Finn, M. Mozumdar, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “Platform-Based Design Methodology and Modeling for Aircraft Electric Power Systems,” in Proc. IEEE Green Energy and Systems Conference (IGESC), Nov. 2013.
- P. Nuzzo and A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “System-Level Design of Analog and Mixed-Signal Circuits Using Contracts,” CMOS Emerging Technologies Conf., Jul. 2012.
- X. Sun, P. Nuzzo, A. Puggelli, and A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “Contracts for correct composition and system-level design of analog and mixed-signal circuits,” Frontiers in Analog Circuit Synthesis and Veriﬁcation Workshop, on-line, Jul. 2011.
- A. Puggelli, M. Petracca, P. Nuzzo, L. P. Carloni, A. L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “A Design framework for Distributed Power Management of Heterogeneous Systems-on-Chip,” in Proc. TECHCON, Sep. 2011.
- P. Nuzzo and A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “Robustness in Analog Systems: Design Techniques, Methodologies and Tools,” in Proc. IEEE Symp. Industrial Embedded Systems (SIES), Jun. 2011.
- P. Nuzzo, A. Puggelli, S. A. Seshia, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “CalCS: SMT Solving for Non-linear Convex Constraints,” Proc. IEEE Formal Methods in Computer-Aided Design (FMCAD), pp. 71-79, Oct. 2010.
- X. Sun, P. Nuzzo, C.-C. Wu, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, “Contract-based system-level composition of analog circuits,” in Proc. Design Automation Conference (DAC), pp. 605-610, Jul. 2009.